Translate

Tuesday 12 July 2016

Canoe Sailing to Fort Darnet 2014


A fine Spring morning beckoned back in 2014 and I decided that would be the day I finally got to Fort Darnet , a small island 8 or so miles into the Medway estuary and fortfied with a Victorian era fort.

High tide was forecast at 1.05 pm that day so I got down to Queenborough late morning, I wanted to use the last of the ebb to take me the half mile or so out of the Swale into the Medway.The day was promising to be a belter: A cloudless sky and a force 3 wind, a trip in sync with the tides, what could be better? I drove to Queenborough and set up my sailing canoe before launching onto the Swale.
On the slip at Queenborough

Having come out of the Swale and still with the last of the Ebb tide I decided that rather then turning left into the estuary I would  stick my nose out of the mouth of the Medway and take a look at what lay beyond: There be Dragons?

Grain tower on the mouth of the Medway


I sailed up to the mouth of the Medway, I sailed past Grain tower, on now side on the other, on the isle of Sheppy was Garrision point, a former naval dock now a commercial port.The Thames Estuary lay to the left, to the right stretched the North Sea.







By this time the tide had turned so I started making my way up the Estuary, along Saltpan reach,passing the piers off the Grain power station...





....and past the massive cranes of the container terminal next door,



As I made my way  further into the estuary I fell into company with a squadron of yachts. that came from the Medway and tacked at a bouy to head back towards whence they had come. Unfortunately I had forgotten to bring my jib which would of been ideal in the light winds and I was eventually overhauled!



Add caption



Soon I was having to tack to avoid the long jetties of Bee Ness, Oakham Ness and Kingsnorth power station

Kingsnorth Power station & jetty


Once past the power station Fort Darnett came into view, the channel takes a sharp right hand turn around it, creating a strong tidal eddy. On the southern shore of the island are a number of concrete barges , the tide and wind had carried me much faster then I expected and I wasn't sure that I would be able to land for a  hour or so until the tide had risen. However in front of the barges a small stony beach was exposed with appeared firm enough to land on.


The barges on Darnett Fort


The route through the barges


There was a small canyon between two of the barges which offered a route to drag my canoe up onto firmer land ,where I could launch once the tide had turned. I stepped my mast and rolled the canoe through and up onto the grassy high tide line.




Through the canyon!


The day was getting increasingly warmer, I got out of my drysuit, broke out my lunch and relaxed for a while enjoying the sites and sounds of the estuary.

Looking South East 

The view East towards Hoo fort.

Looking South West towards Gillingham

I then decided to explore the fort itself. The forts (Darnet and Hoo) were built in 1870s to protect Chatham naval docks with artillery and a chain boom hung between the two forts. They were built to hold 100 men but most likely were garrisoned with 20-30. The guns were decommissioned before the first world war but the forts were used as observation posts in both wars.
Access to the moated fort is via the plank!

Inside the fort vaults, note the gun port to the right and fireplace to the left


In the middle of the fort. the remains of the flag staff are prominent





As the tide rose I packed up and got ready to return back to Queenborough. I decided to sail back off the main channel, now the tide was up ,via South Yantlet Creek, across the  Bishop and Ham Ooze into Sharfleet Creek and then into Stangate Creek and back into the main Medway channel before heading back into the Swale for Queensborough slipway.



As I headed away from Darnet Fort a small cruiser had moored up on the concrete barges 

Out in the middle of the Medway


Out in the middle of Medway at high tide I was miles away from any shore. Its always amazing how isolated you can feel out here, and remind yourself that you are still in South East England. As I crossed the Bishops Ooze I was struck by the advice on its marker buoy








As I got towards the end of the estuary I started looking for Sharfleet Creek, which runs between Burntwick Island to the North and Slayhill and Greenborough marches to the South. I got a bit lost in the myriad of channel and islands in the marshes as the leeboard of my canoe occasionally grounded I started to get a little worried, if the ebb tide might strand me on a mud bank till the next high tide!




As I made my way through the marshes I came across a solitary Seal basking in the spring sunshine. I eventually found my way into the creek and the deeper water. I made my way back to Queenborough.





I made a film of the trip which can be viewed here:



The following year I returned in much windier conditions to camp overnight on the Island the blog of which is here:




No comments:

Post a Comment